Monday, July 20, 2015

My Go-To Summer Dinner

I love cooking and it's been fun, yet challenging, to make healthy, easy meals that everyone in my family will eat.  I've never been able to grill without Andrew being home (long story, but it involves almost blowing myself up), but he recently made the grill Andrea-Proof, so it's easy and safe for me to use.  Grilling in the summer is great and since the kids love to be outside, it makes meal prep easier too.  We've eaten variations of this meal many many times the past few months and we're not sick of it yet.  It's not anything you'll find in a gourmet foodie magazine, but it's easy, yummy and healthy.  I hope you try it and enjoy it!

Grilled Chicken Thighs
Parmesan Quinoa
Roasted Veggies
Fresh Fruit


So the chicken...Andrew's mom got me hooked on chicken thighs.  Even though they are slightly higher in fat and calories, they are so much more flavorful and easier to cook, in my opinion.  I season them (and most chicken dishes) with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.  I drizzle a little olive oil on and throw them on the grill.  These are equally as delicious in the oven - I put them on a foil lined baking sheet and cook about 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

Parmesan Quinoa...Quinoa is an acquired taste and has taken me awhile to perfect.  I buy the kind that is already rinsed and you just have to cook it like rice.  I use 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of low sodium chicken stock.  Put them in a pot, bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until it's fluffy like rice.  Then I add in 1 Tbs of margarine (could use olive oil), salt, pepper, garlic powder and about 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.  


Roasted Veggies...we make these a few times a week.  I made green beans here, but we also have broccoli, cauliflower, onion, mushrooms, peppers, squash, zucchini...the options are endless.  I put them on a foil lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder then roast at 425 degrees for 15-30 minutes, depending on the vegetable.  By far my favorite way to eat veggies.

I hope the fresh fruit is obvious ;).

Enjoy and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment