Friday, June 5, 2015

Survivor: Edgewood KY

You could probably go ahead and leave me on a deserted island, with a bunch of crazy reality show people and only a match and it would have been an easier week than what we actually experienced.  We have been in total survival mode, where any sort of to-do list becomes obsolete, you’re wearing pajamas 90% of the time and if the only thing your child eats all day is a French fry, it’s okay because he ate something.  I would not want to go back to last Saturday morning when we were blissfully unaware of the train wreck that was about to occur.


I took Aiden to swim lessons Saturday morning and then ran a bunch of errands.  While we were out, Andrew texted me and said Audrey was really fussy and felt really warm.  She was getting over an ear infection and on antibiotics, so we assumed at first it was related to that.  When I got home, it was clear Audrey was not herself.  She had a high fever, was super clingy and wouldn’t eat or drink.  By later on Saturday she had broken out in a rash.  Long story short, over the next 24 hours she got worse and we assumed (along with the doctor on call) that she was having a reaction to the antibiotic.  We took her to Children’s on Sunday and they were able to figure out she had Hand, Foot and Mouth.  A virus that just has to run it’s course and is super contagious.  They told us if Aiden didn’t get it, they’d be shocked. 


Fast forward a few days, several doses of Motrin and Tylenol, and very very very little sleep and we are finally headed in the right direction.  Audrey is still working up to her past formula/food intake, as is Aiden.  According to the doctor, they are no longer contagious, but we are going to give it the weekend and do some major cleaning/sterilizing around here.  I’m hoping by next week we can get back to normal and file this week in with others we’d rather forget.



Despite the gloom of illness, some other notable things did manage to happen this week…

*Audrey turned 9 months old yesterday!  I’ll have to write her update next week.

*I somehow managed to lose another pound and a half.  I have NO CLUE how that happened, since the only working out I did was walk around constantly holding either a 23 pound or 30 pound child…maybe it’s not that surprising after all.

*I got a “break” from playing doctor mom and went up to school to clean out my classroom.  I left most of my things there this year, but since I’m also taking next year off, I decided I should bring it home and give the teacher who’s in there some more space.  It’s hard to believe two years of teaching can fill up an entire truck!

*I ate one of these….and got a buzz.

Before I say goodbye, I do want to say that I am obviously exaggerating and being somewhat sarcastic with this post.  Was it a difficult, stressful week?  Yes.  Could things be worse?  Absolutely.  I started following Devon Still on Instagram.  You need some perspective?  Check him out and send lots of prayers for his precious little girl. 


I hope you have a beautiful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment