Monday, November 23, 2015

New Shoes New Goal

I was in desperate need of some new gym shoes.  I had planned on rewarding myself about 15 pounds ago with a new pair, but time and budget got away from me.  I also have a very difficult time finding gym shoes to try on in person, without having to order them online.  But last week I took the plunge and headed to Dick's with both kids, promising a look at basketballs and toys.  Thankfully they have carts and thankfully the kids were patient enough for me to try a few on.  I just happened to find some in a brand I've liked, colors I didn't mind and a good fit.  Add a discount and a coupon and I was sold.  


With these new running shoes comes a new running goal.  Several years ago, Andrew and I "ran" the Flying Pig Half Marathon.  I put "ran" in quotation marks because we did do a good amount of walking, but we finished and it was a great accomplishment.  I'm not crazy enough to try that again (at least not yet), but ever since my open heart surgery last January, I've had it in my head that it would be a great goal to run the Heart Mini 15K, or just over 9 miles.  Considering I've done 13.1, it seems doable.  

I am the biggest cheese ball you will ever meet and cry at any and every thing.  I've watched many races as my dad and friends have participated and I always get choked up, especially at the finish line.   You can see the accomplishment and relief as the runners cross the line and the pride in the faces of their friends and family.  I've always felt that I should be in there with them, rather than on the sidelines.  I guess you could say I've always felt like an athlete trapped in a body that couldn't, or wasn't ready, to perform.

So there you have it, my next fitness related goal.  I am going to train to run the 15K on March 13, 2016.  My OCD with numbers self loves that the date is 3 +13 = 16 :).  I think it's a sign that it's meant to be.  I haven't officially started training yet, that'll start in a few weeks, but I did go jog on the treadmill today.  I'm not a fan of the treadmill, but it was way too cold to push Audrey in the jogging stroller.  It went better than I expected and I look forward to seeing how I do outside.

I will say this...I'm going to listen to my body and if running hinders my overall progress with injuries or anything else, then I will pick a new goal.  I'm excited to work toward this, but not at the expense of the things I now find so enjoyable.


So I guess you could say I am now off and running.... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment