Thursday, December 17, 2015

'Tis the Season to Say Nice Things

Never underestimate the power of saying something nice to someone.  I've shared many personal thoughts and pictures of my weight loss journey over this past year.  At first, I was nervous to put it all out there.  I was also worried that people would get annoyed and/or judge me for being so open and "oversharing."  I'm sure this has happened at some point, but thankfully I don't know about it.  What I do know is the support and kind comments I've received along the way have been some of my biggest motivators.

I will often tell someone how much I like the shirt they are wearing or their new haircut.  It's not purposefully to make them feel good, but I hope it does.  I've always been hesitant, though, to tell someone how great they look when they've lost weight.  Does that mean they looked awful before?  Or what if they lost it due to a medical condition?  I do not ever want to offend someone with this comment.  Aside from a possible illness though, and I can't speak for everyone but I can honestly say that when someone tells me I look great, it makes me feel like a million bucks.

This journey has not been easy.  I have worked very hard and continue to work on creating and maintaining a balanced, healthy lifestyle that is sustainable and practical.  I haven't done it to fish for compliments.  I haven't even done it to look good in a smaller size dress.  This journey has been for me; it's the most selfish and at the same time absolute best thing I can do for myself and my family.  But I haven't done it alone.  Andrew has been amazingly supportive.  My friends and family cheer me on.  Those of you who I haven't seen in years have lifted me up.  Strangers have boosted my confidence.  I feel as if I have a team by my side, encouraging me to stay the course.

As I walked out of Hobby Lobby the other day, a greeter looked me in the eye and said, "Merry Christmas!"  I said Merry Christmas back, but didn't look up as I pushed Audrey out in the cart.  I immediately realized how unbelievably rude I was and turned around, looked him in the eye and said, "Have a great day!"  How sad is it that I couldn't even look at him when wishing him a Merry Christmas?  When was the last time you looked someone in the eye when saying something nice?  Not saying it through text, Facebook or an email but in a real live conversation and even while making eye contact?  I do it rarely.  I admit it.  But I am going to try to do better, especially this time of year. 

Here's my Christmas challenge for you.... look someone in the eye, a stranger, a friend, a family member, and compliment them.  You look beautiful!  I love your shirt!  Thank you for great customer service!  Do it and watch their smiles come to life.  You may just make someone's day.  Or in my case, you may just be encouraging someone to never give up on their goals. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment