Thursday, January 12, 2017

Celebrating Ten Years and Two Years

January 12th.  A day that means quite a bit in my life.  Today will be a little trip down memory lane, but I think spending this time to reflect can help me appreciate the blessings of today.

Ten years ago, I went to a birthday party of a family friend.  (See the very brown picture below, haha.)  It was at this party that my future husband, Andrew, noticed me.  Admittedly, I had noticed him for quite awhile, but never made a move.  Well, Andrew - being the "sly" guy that he is - approached our mutual family friend and asked who I was.  As fate would have it, my mom happened to be standing right there.  Long story short, a business card was given, an email sent, phone calls made, dates happened...the rest, as they say, is history.  January 12th will always go down as the day I "met" the love of my life.


This was taken a few weeks after we started dating.  We look so young.  And rested. 


Fast forward 8 years and in 2015, I went in for my second open-heart surgery to replace my aortic valve.  If you've followed me for awhile, you know this story and you know how much has changed these last two years. 


Within a week of my surgery, I was walking outside.  I carried my heart pillow as comfort and because it hurt like crazy to cough.  I could walk from my house, past about two houses, turned around and came back.  Then I needed a nap.


I kept at it.  I ordered this shirt and took this picture soon after surgery.  I changed my outlook on health, food and fitness.  I looked at my family and knew I wanted to do better.  To BE better.  It was the ultimate motivation.


Two years later...


I write a lot about my progress.  Maybe you're annoyed, inspired, motivated or just happy for me.  Maybe a little of each :).  But I need to do this for me.  I need to see where I started and remind myself why I am doing it.  This all has new meaning now since my mom is now on her own recovery journey - much more difficult than mine was.  She is one of my biggest supporters and I plan on doing the same for her.

So happy 10th anniversary, Andrew.  Ten years ago you changed my life and you've been by my side.  I love you.

And happy 2nd anniversary to my valve...you made it possible to change my path and feel what living really is.  

January 12th...a day to celebrate. 

1 comment: