Monday, January 9, 2017

New Year, New Workout

One of my goals when I set out to change my lifestyle was to allow myself options.  By options, I mean shopping in any store I choose, not worrying about the weight limit on a water ride and having the ability to attempt most any physical challenge.  Basically, I didn't want my body to keep me from doing something.  I've mentioned before that I felt like a physical/active person, trapped in a body that didn't allow it.  Well, that's no longer the case.

For the past two years, I've been pretty consistent with the types of workouts I've been doing.  They are mostly at the gym and involve pre-set circuits, with strength and cardio mixed together.  I also take a "dance" class from time to time and attempt running, but my knee isn't a fan.  I love my routine, and the people who are a part of it, but with the new year I wanted to try something different.  I also wanted to push myself.  Enter ELMNTL Fitness!


My friend Kathryn (A TWO-TIME Ironman!) has been telling me about ELMNTL for awhile now, but I was honestly too nervous to try it.  I mean, she has completed the hardest physical challenge possible, so I assumed the others involved were of the same caliber.  Here's the thing I've realized - and this is for those of you who are nervous to try something new - those leading and participating in these workouts want you there.  They want to include you, inspire you and challenge you - and they will make it work for YOU.  I've learned this lesson at my gym and I learned it at ELMNTL.

Of course I chose the coldest day EVER (felt like -1) to try this out, but the temperature really wasn't a factor.  Now the layers were a bit restricting and the monkey bars were icy, but besides that, it was fun working out in the snow!  The group was super friendly and welcoming and the owner, Kevin, made sure I felt comfortable (yet challenged).  The setting was beautiful and despite the sore muscles, I truly enjoyed myself.  The workout included a lot of what I do in the gym, but outside and using elements of nature - hence the name :).  


Losing 97 pounds has been life-changing.  But possibly the biggest change has been my attitude.  My confidence.  It's something I've never fully embraced, but now feel ready to take on so much more than before.  Maybe it's not trying a challenging outdoor workout (although, I highly recommend it!), maybe it's just walking into a gym.  Or maybe it's asking for a raise, standing up to a bully, or reaching out to a long-lost friend.  Whatever your hurdle is, run straight for it and jump.  You may stumble, you may even fall flat on your face.  But what if you don't?  What if you realize that trying is half the battle, and it'll only get you closer to your goal? 

Happy Monday, friends :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment