Friday, January 6, 2017

Friday Favorites - A Few Go-To "Recipes"

Happy Friday everyone! Is it just me, or has this felt like the longest week ever?  The kids went back to school on Wednesday (but they only go Mon/Wed), we've all been sick in some way and it just feels like a struggle to get out of this funk.  But, we press on...

While I mostly stuck to healthy choices over the holidays, I definitely indulged a little more than normal.  I started January just feeling FULL.  So I've been cleansing my meal rotation a bit, in hopes of feeling better and more energetic.  I am a firm believer in using food as fuel and I enjoy the challenge of finding healthy options that I truly want to eat.  Maybe you'll enjoy these too!

I try to eat more food in the morning and taper throughout the day.  It helps my metabolism and I'm even used to going to bed a little hungry, which is okay! This combo is a common breakfast or lunch for me.  I love Dave's Killer Bread - I toast it, spread avocado on top with salt & pepper, sometimes I'll add an egg.  The smoothie is frozen strawberries and bananas, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, splash of juice, chia seeds, spinach and water.  I usually add plain greek yogurt, but I was out :). 


Another common breakfast - scrambled eggs with spinach (an easy way to sneak veggies into breakfast), yogurt with granola and blueberries.  I love Chobani strawberry and KIND granola.  By keeping it in the yogurt container, it helps with portion control - and no dirty dishes! 


This is on of my favorite snacks and it comes from my friend Ashley from NaturallyNati.  These "Almost Cookie Dough Bites" are the perfect cure for a sweet tooth.  I even got my kids to try them!



I save this breakfast for days when I have a big workout.  It's more carbs than I typically eat in one meal, but that's a good thing to fuel up for a workout.  The same yogurt combo as before, plus a waffle with peanut butter. 


I made this soup for the first time yesterday and I think it'll be a once a month recipe for me.  It's called a "Cleansing Soup" and it is FILLED with good stuff for your body.  And it tastes pretty good, too!  It has an asian flair with ginger and cinnamon.  It was a little labor intensive, but it makes a ton and I'll have it for several meals the next few days. 


My favorite healthy indulgence - Banana Chocolate Chip Bread.  Made with greek yogurt and dark chocolate chips, it is very filling and yummy.  I used coconut sugar instead of brown this time and I always use whole wheat flour.  Turned out great!


And one last sweet treat.  Skinny Pop popcorn with a piece of peppermint white chocolate bark (thanks, Alicia!).  Because I obviously can't quit Christmas...


Hopefully this gives you some inspiration for eating healthy in the new year, without feeling deprived!  Have a wonderful weekend :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment