Monday, January 2, 2017

A word...and a few thoughts... for 2017

A new year, a new start.  Even when you want to just treat January 1st as any old day, there's always a part of you that feels the need to start fresh and look ahead to the possibilities of a new year.  I usually make some sort of resolutions (read my post from last year here), but this year I am trying something a little different.  A friend (thanks, Whitney!) posted an idea that I fell in love with...choose a word for the year.  A word that you can always come back to and strive to achieve.  While it's not an easy task, now that I've chosen it, I already feel more focused.  So this is what I've come up with...

PEACE.

Life can be stressful, hectic, frustrating and crazy.  That is not going to change.  But the way I handle it CAN change.  I want to do less yelling, put less pressure on myself and spend less time doing five things at once.  For the record, it's okay to just do one thing at a time.  The other day I realized I was switching laundry, checking my email and talking to Aiden...at the same time. That's not okay and it's not necessary.  

I love that this word can truly apply to every aspect of my life.  It does not imply that bad things won't happen, but it describes how I wish to deal with them.  It also reflects my wish for our country and our world.  

Beyond this word of 2017, a few other thoughts I've had...

Play more.  With my kids, with my husband, with my friends.  Laugh, smile and feel joy.

Build strength.  In many ways...physically, emotionally and mentally.

Be flexible.  Let go of "perfect" and see how wonderful things can truly be.

Appreciate time.  Life is short, we know this.  Today could be it...look at this as a gift, not a threat.

I am no where near perfect.  My life is no where near perfect.  When I write these thoughts, they are from my heart and are what I wish to achieve, but that doesn't mean I know how to live life any better than anyone else.  I simply hope that by sharing this, I may touch your heart as well.

Happy New Year...wishing you peace in 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment