Thursday, August 6, 2015

Health Update: The Big 4-0

40 down!  Woohoo!  About 40 more to go, but it seems very attainable at this point.  I don’t go by the scale exactly and am not entirely trying to reach a specific weight, but I do have an overall number goal in mind.  One day I’ll share the numbers with you, not ready to do that quite yet.  People are always shocked when they find out how much I weigh, they tend to think it’s a lot less.  Don’t forget that I am six feet tall and have a larger build, so if I weighed 150 pounds, I would look very unhealthy.  My goal in this process is health and it feels so good to be achieving that. 

Since I’ve hit this milestone I decided it would be good to think about what has helped get me to this point.  I’m still struggling with some things (sugar intake and lack of sleep especially), but overall I’ve settled into this healthy lifestyle quite well, with the help of my arsenal of tools.

1. MyFitnessPal App: I’ve talked about this app before, but it really has made a huge difference for me.  It keeps me accountable, helps me make smart food choices and is free!  Of course you have to be disciplined enough to use it, but I’d say I keep up with it 95% of the time.
2. My trainer:  I’ve worked with Ted for 5 months now.  We spend 30 minutes, twice a week.  He’s good about reminding me where I started and how far I’ve come.  He’s also good at pushing me, something I don’t think I would do if I only worked out by myself.  Our workouts are never the same and he has actually taken the time to get to know my goals and me.  I’m going to be transitioning to a different schedule in September.  I’ll work out with him once a week and then have several options to attend small group training sessions.  There are also a few classes I enjoy.  I’m hoping to work out a good schedule that works with Aiden’s preschool days and Audrey’s nap time. 
3. Andrew.  He is my biggest supporter and cheerleader.  He makes comments on a daily basis that make me feel great and has been on board with using part of our very tight budget toward training.  I know he will love me no matter what I look like, but he is incredibly happy to see me healthy and happy and that’s a great feeling.
4. Time.  To say I’ve taken time off of work to focus on my health isn’t exactly an overstatement.  Of course I am off mainly to be home with the kids, but with having to have open-heart surgery last January, this time has also been about my health.  It has been a true gift to have this time and I don’t know how I’d do this without it.  I have so much admiration (and amazement) for moms who take on these goals while also working full time.  They are my heroes.
5. Me.  I’m starting to get more comments from people, complimenting my weight loss.  It feels great, but I often downplay it.  A few weeks ago this scenario played out with a friend, but this time he quickly put me in check.  After I shrugged off having lost 30 pounds, he said…”you realize that’s a small child.”  I never thought of it that way, but it’s actually about how much Aiden weighs.  So now I’ve lost more than Aiden.  That’s an accomplishment and I deserve to pat myself on the back for it. 


We’re coming up on fall and then winter, both the hardest times for me to avoid unhealthy temptations (hello pumpkin everything and comfort food).  It’s going to be about balance and moderation, and stepping up the workouts.  Summer is naturally a more active time, so it’s a good thing my kids (finally!!) like going to the gym.  Thank you all for the support…I’ll see you at 50!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! What an awesome accomplishment. Don't downplay your accomplishments, you deserve to hear compliments!!

    ReplyDelete