Friday, April 8, 2016

When Life is Unfair

This thought has been weighing heavily on my heart this week.  In this age of Facebook and other social media, we often see friends, family and acquaintances share sad news.  Unfortunately, this week my newsfeed was particularly filled with these posts and my heart is aching for those going through hard times.  I tend to feel what others are going through, no matter how well I know them, and I'm always very affected when these things hit close to home.  It is a reminder that life is not fair and life can change, or end, in a matter of minutes.  BUT...what I've also noticed this week is how these people have handled it.  And it has been downright inspirational. 

The one year anniversary of the passing of Lauren Hill is coming up.  If you aren't familiar with her story, you can read more about her here.  I remember very clearly the day she died last year because it was the same day everything bloomed.  It was like she was telling the world that she was on to better things and everything would be okay.  When we hear of a father passing away, leaving his young family behind, or the story of a child fighting cancer or of a newborn baby found abandoned, it is natural to question why and wonder how will those involved will ever move on.  But somehow, they do.  And that is what we all need to remember.

Whenever I face something scary in my life, I think about how others have gotten through it and thrived.  The pain is always there and the hard times are never forgotten, but we go on.  Someone once told me that you don't move on, you go on.  You wake up, you live, you smile and you go on, while keeping hold of those memories and even the pain, because that is the reminder of what once was. 

I don't mean for this to be a depressing post, in fact, I hope it is the opposite.  For those going through a painful time right now, know that you are inspiring.  You show us that we are capable of handling more than we realize and when we are faced with a mountain to climb, you have paved the way to the top.  One of Aiden's favorite books right now is a follow up to The Little Engine that Could, called I Knew You Could!  It has some great quotes in it, but this is my favorite: 

You'll go through tunnels, surrounded by dark,
And you'll wish for a light or even a spark.
You might get scared or a little bit sad,
Wondering if maybe your track has gone bad.
So here's some advice to help ease your doubt,
The track you took in must also go out.
So steady yourself and just keep on going-
Before you know it, some light will be showing.
And then you'll be out, heading to a new place.
You'll be ready for the next tunnel you face.

Here's to the light at the end of your tunnel and for life to go on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment