Monday, August 15, 2016

A Farmer's Market Meal

I love shopping at farmer's markets.  We have several in the area, so I usually visit a few different ones each summer.  Someday I'd love to grow my own, but for now I enjoy supporting local farmers. I have SO much respect for what they do.  

Saturday morning, Audrey and I visited the Independence Farmer's Market.  I had a list of what I wanted, and I was able to get it all...for less than what it would have been at the grocery store.  It was just Audrey and I all day, so we went home and cooked up a yummy lunch, made mostly from our farmer's market finds.  I am really trying to get in more veggies and this meal did just that.

I don't have exact recipes, because I really just threw things together.  But, I took a lot of pictures and I'll let you know what I did.

I started with onion, celery and red pepper in some olive oil, cooked it until soft.  Then I added garlic for a minute or so. 


Next, I poured in 6 cups of chicken stock, 1/2 cup of pasta and spices.  I let that simmer for a few minutes. 


Then I added more veggies.  You can add whatever, but I used roma tomatoes, squash, zucchini and green beans.  


I let it simmer until veggies and pasta were cooked.  


Then came the fruit...




I sliced up a HUGE seedless watermelon.  I put a handful of watermelon and a diced up peach in the blender with some ice.  It made a delicious fruit slushy.  (Would probably be even better with vodka ;))


Next up, I made a sandwich.  Maybe I'm late to the game, but I LOVE Dave's Killer Bread.  I used one Laughing Cow wedge on one slice, 1/2 an avocado on the other slice and added sliced cucumber. I had this sandwich again the next day with tomato and bacon!



The final product.... one word: FRESH.


Audrey enjoyed more soup today.  I can't get her to try the veggies, but she likes the broth and noodles.  I'll take it. 


I hope you give these ideas a try and love them as much as I did! :)  Happy Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment