Monday, September 26, 2016

Fall Capsule Wardrobe

Yesterday, we were swimming.  Today, I am wearing long sleeves and boots.  I'm pretty sure it happens like this every year, but we just all forget.  We know the cold is coming and each year, I try to be prepared.  I think the kids are in pretty good shape, but my wardrobe is another story.  In the spring I shared my goal to create a capsule wardrobe for spring/summer and I think I did a pretty good job!  Since I'm down about 35 pounds from last fall, last year's stuff doesn't really fit.  A good, but expensive, problem to have!

The idea of a capsule wardrobe is to build the basics, with a few fun things thrown in, and then mix and match.  I find this especially useful this season, but I'm not a big fan of a lot of the trendy pieces.  Like overalls...really?  I also don't love flares, chokers and platform shoes...hello 8th grade.  I also noticed that nearly every top is loose fitting....apparently this is called boyfriend fit.  The irony of this is that men's clothing seems to be getting tighter, while women's is looser.  But anyway...

I had a little bit of alone time this weekend to shop, so I stopped at Old Navy and Loft.  I tried on a lot to get an idea of sizing and what I liked and then I ended up ordering online for Old Navy (they have Tall sizes online and a sale!) and had to limit myself to one thing at Loft.  I don't have a picture of it, but it is the BEST thing I've ever put on.  So comfy, but not frumpy.  

Here's a sample of what I tried on...


I loved this outfit, but needed "talls" in the shirts and pants.  They only had the cardigan in tall online, so I went with just that.  And thanks to the flowy-er styles - everything was a medium!


This shirt was way too itchy.  And I would've needed tall.


This t-shirt I loved, so I ordered it in tall online. I also really liked the black jeans, but ordered them in grey instead. 


I should've bought this at the store.  I couldn't find it anywhere online.  It would have been perfect for holiday parties!


This shirt came home with me.  In fact, I'm wearing it right now ;).


This dress was on major sale, so I ordered it in a tall as well.  You can't tell, but it has little sunflowers on it!


For fun!  I like rompers, but they never fit right.  This one was too baggy and probably too impractical!


This was at Loft.  I guess turtle necks are back in too.  If this wasn't a turtle neck, I'd love it.  

And now for the capsule list...

Distressed Jeans - I have a pair, but they're too big now.
Burgundy Jeans
Grey Jeans - Check
Thick black leggings - check
Basic t-shirts - check
Ivory Cardigan
Camel Cardigan  - check
Fall dress - check
Tan booties (I'm so 10 years old - this makes me laugh every time I say it)
Leopard skinny belt
Stylish sweatshirt
2-3 long sleeve shirts - need one more
Fall plaid scarf

I haven't had a chance to look through my workout clothes yet, but I am hoping to score some deals at Gap Outlet soon.  And I'll need to add some warmer things to this (like a casual coat), but I'm just not there yet!

Whew, this ended up being long!  You may be reading this and think.... why does she need to do all of this shopping?  Well, I am starting from scratch!  And since money does not grow on trees, I need a plan.  And I don't want to go overboard.

Wishing you all a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment